The intestinal bacterial flora is the set of bacteria that live in our intestines. They are millions and are essential for the proper functioning of the organism. In this article, we will tell you how to improve it to keep your body in shape.
The intestinal bacterial flora, as we have said, is located in the intestine, where nutrients are assimilated. This is why it is fundamental and it must be in its optimal state.
1. Improve intestinal bacterial flora through hygiene
Nutrition is the most appropriate method for improving intestinal flora. Despite this, it is not the only way, given that hygiene habits also play a fundamental role in its correct development. Poor hygiene can damage the intestinal flora, weaken it and prevent its improvement if it gets worse.
For this reason, it is essential to wash the food before cooking it. In a few seconds, bypassing them underwater, you will eliminate dirt and bacteria. It is a simple gesture with which we can protect ourselves from many diseases.
Another hygiene habit is washing your hands before starting to cook and eat. There is no use for washing the food if we eat it with dirty hands.
It is important to acquire these habits from an early age. If you have children, your best bet is to get them used to wash food and hands. Thus, it will become a routine and always will.
2. Eat probiotic foods
Probiotic foods are those that contain live microorganisms. Thanks to these elements, the intestinal bacterial flora receives stimuli that favor its development. In addition, they have an immunological power that protects the body against diseases and viruses. Some of these probiotics that you can include in your diet are:
- Kefir. The main advantage of kéfir is that people who are lactose intolerant can take it without any problems. There are two types of kéfir: the one with milk, and the one with water. You can consume it as a smoothie, added to vegetable purees or with fruit in pieces.
- Yogurt. Eating yogurt is one of the easiest ways to improve intestinal bacterial flora. If you prepare it yourself, it’s even better because it’s natural. You can eat it alone, with pieces of fruit, cereals or mixed with jam.
- Chucrut. Also called sauerkraut, they are consumed a lot in northern European countries. The ingredients are simply cabbage, salt, and water. You can buy them in specialized shops or in herbal medicine and eat them as a side dish for meat or fish dishes.
3. Food supplements
In the event that the intestinal bacterial flora is very damaged and it is not enough to vary the diet, you can use supplements. They are taken in the form of capsules and help a lot.
Our advice is always to choose proper nutrition first. If, in the long run, it doesn’t work then you can resort to supplements. Most can be purchased in herbal medicine, although you should consult your family doctor or other professionals before starting to take them.
4. Always choose whole grains
Another way to improve intestinal bacterial flora is to consume whole grains. The easiest way to do this is by eating whole wheat bread. The benefits are many and, in addition, they will help you feel full for longer. In addition, it is important to specify that they contain very little fat.
These cereals have more properties than the refined ones because they keep intact the three parts of which they are composed: the germ, the endosperm, and the bran. In addition, if they are whole they do not lose vitamins and facilitate digestion.